People all over Ireland rely on public transport each and every day. From cities such as Dublin and Galway to smaller country towns, it is an essential service in the country. 

Whether you are using public transport to do your grocery shopping, go to college or get to work, it likely plays a big part in your life. 

For the most part, public transport can be very reliable. You can trust it to get to your destination both on time and safety. 

However, there is always the potential for something to go wrong. 

Whether you are on a tram, bus or train, safety on public transport is never guaranteed. Anywhere in the country, you could end up being a victim of a public transport accident. 

If you have been involved in a collision or other accident, then you have the right to a personal injury claim for the damage you have sustained. A successful claim here would result in compensation. 

If you want to make a road traffic accident claim in Sligo, then be sure to get in touch with Valerie Kearins. They are a top legal provider in the county and can help you to get the compensation you deserve.

What is a public transport accident claim?

While using public transport services, you may be involved in an accident. If this accident leads to injury and/or damage, you have the right to make a claim for compensation. 

A public transport accident claim can help you get financial benefits to aid your injuries and damages. 

If you have been involved in any kind of an accident while using public transport services, be sure to make a claim. 

Using experienced legal services like Valerie Kearins can get you the compensation you deserve. Even if you have any doubts on the situation, the team can talk you through the process. 

You can get in touch today for information regarding your claim.

Contact Valerie Kearins Solicitors Today

At Valerie Kearins Solicitors – we specialise in many different aspects of the law to provide our clients with the best professional support and advice.

Common public transport claims

There are many different situations that may result in a public transport accident. Whether you are using a train, bus or tram, an accident may occur. 

Even though public transport accidents are considered rare, there are different reasons you might make a claim. 

Some of the more common claims are as follows:

  • Driver/operator negligence claim
  • Vehicle safety claim
  • Third party claim
  • Unsafe conditions claim
  • Uninsured driver claim

Driver/operator negligence claim

A collision or accident you experience while using public transport may be caused by an operator or driver’s negligence. In this case, you have the right to make a claim for your injuries and damage.

Vehicle safety claim

If there was a physical issue with the operating of the vehicle that leads to an accident, you can make a vehicle safety claim.

Third party claim

An accident or collision can occur as the result of a third party driver. You can claim compensation in such cases. 

The third party is considered responsible for such an occurrence.

Unsafe conditions claim

If the public transport is in operation through poor weather conditions, road conditions or other safety hazards, this can result in an accident. Travelling in unsafe conditions using public transport can result in a claim.

Uninsured driver claim

If a third party is guilty for an accident and they are uninsured, you are still able to make a claim. 

In this instance, it is good to gather as much information as possible.

Contact Valerie Kearins Solicitors Today

If you feel you have been the victim of personal injury and you are considering filing a claim for compensation, feel free to get in touch with Valerie Kearins Solicitors for an assessment of your case.

Compensation for public transport claims

Compensation following a public transport incident can help to cover damages, medical bills and potential future losses. 

Compensation can only be received if you file an official claim. It is always a good idea to use a legal professional to do so.

Who is eligible for compensation?

Anyone who has been involved in a public transport accident is considered eligible to make a claim, and thus receive compensation. 

A successful claim will result in compensation. However, if your claim is not successful, you will not receive any financial compensation.

Types of compensation available

There are mainly two types of compensation that you will be seeking with your claim. This includes compensation for general damages and compensation for specific damages.

General damages

General damages will look at the overall circumstance and situation. Compensation amounts in this criteria can differ. 

General damages for compensation include:

  • Loss of amenity
  • Personal injuries and damages
  • Stress and anxiety caused by events

Specific damages

You can claim for specific damages. This means you are seeking compensation to cover costs and expenses caused by the accident. 

Specific damages for compensation can include:

  • Loss of income
  • Personal belongings damage
  • Loss of future income
  • Medical bills
  • Travel costs (for appointments and procedures)

Before you make your claim, it is a good idea to find out how much you are looking to be compensated for. This can make it clearer what kind of claim to make and what evidence you might need. 

Working with your solicitor, you should be able to make accurate estimates for the compensation. 

Road traffic accident claims Sligo

A road traffic accident claim is when you seek compensation following being involved in a collision or mishap on public roads. 

A road traffic accident can lead to a public transport accident. This can be caused by the driver or operator, or a third party. 

In Sligo, it is very possible to be involved in such an incident. When you have been, it is important to file for a public transport accident claim. 

You may experience an accident when using the following Sligo public transport methods:

  • Bus Eireann town services in Sligo
  • Irish rail services (Dublin to Sligo)

Public transport services are available in both Sligo town and in more rural areas.

Who is liable for public transport accidents

The operator or driver of the method of public transport would be considered the responsible party in such accidents. 

This is the case when a driver or operator negligence leads to an incident occurring. 

In this instance, the employer of the driver or service providing company would be liable to pay the compensation. 

If the accident came due to a third party, they would be the ones liable for the situation. 

In this instance, the insurance company of the driver would be responsible for paying the compensation. 

If the driver is not insured, or you are involved in a hit and run incident, your compensation will be paid by MIBI (Motor Insurers’ Bureau of Ireland).

  • Bus Eireann town services in Sligo
  • Irish rail services (Dublin to Sligo)

Public transport services are available in both Sligo town and in more rural areas.

How to make a claim

Personal injury claims can be daunting and complex – if you have suffered a serious accident or injury, you may not know where to begin in your search for compensation. 

The following steps should provide a rough guide on how to approach your situation:

  1. Seek medical guidance from an experienced personal injury solicitor: Unless you choose to submit your own application to the PIAB, your first step should be contacting a solicitor to advise you on the merits of your case. Our team at Valerie Kearins Solicitors is blessed with experience and expertise in legal cases involving personal injury claims. 
  2. Obtain medical records and seek independent, third-party reports: In building your case for compensation, your solicitor will ask you to gather evidence of the medical impact of your accident or injury, as well as third-party reports that add credence and depth to your case. You can assist the claim by obtaining your medical records as soon as possible. 
  3. Assess the case and estimate appropriate compensation: Your personal injury solicitor will weigh up the merits of your claim and decide on a figure that would represent fair compensation. This is one of the areas in which experience and knowledge of the Irish legal system can be a huge asset to your case.
  4. Begin legal proceedings: When the case has been structured and your solicitor is satisfied with the body of evidence you have built, they can begin legal proceedings by submitting an application to the PIAB.

Contact Valerie Kearins Solicitors Today

At Valerie Kearins Personal Injury Solicitors, our friendly and experienced team have extensive knowledge of legal cases involving personal injury claims.

Time frame to make a claim

You will have two years following the discovery of damages and injuries to make the claim. 

In most instances, this will occur on the same day that the accident has taken place. 

It is more effective to make a claim as soon after the accident as possible. This is due to evidence and details being fresher.

Claim on behalf of a loved one

If a loved one has been involved in an accident, they might not necessarily be in a fit position to make a claim. In these instances, it is permitted for an elected individual to make a claim for the victim. 

This can be common when a victim has experienced intense injuries or damage. 

If the person is under the age of 18 when they are involved in a public transport accident, they can have their claim made for them by a parent or legal guardian. 

The parent or legal guardian can make this claim for them until they are the age of 18.

Make a claim today

You should never be concerned about trusting your safety when using public transport. This is why you should absolutely make a claim when you have been the victim. 

The quicker you start the process of making a claim, the sooner you are going to be able to put everything behind you. 

Once you get your compensation for your personal injury claim, you can look to get your life back where it needs to be. 

Valerie Kearins is here to help you get justice for your road traffic accident. 

Call (071 91 49799), email ( or leave a callback request to make a claim today.

Quick Contact